Sunday, August 24, 2014

Conversations with God?













   Years ago I poured myself into a series of books written by Neale Donald Walsch called "Conversations With God" and was enthusiastic with the questions and answers given out in these books.

   When I am researching anything I like to reference different sources and consume as much information as my brain can handle, and for me the word of God was no exception, but here is where the problem lies. How to differentiate what is, and is not the words of God? 

   My first problem came in the fact that I was not well versed in the actual Bible itself, because I hadn't yet started to take the time necessary to study and understand what I now know to be Gods true words. So I highly suggest learning from my mistake and start by studying and understanding the Bible first and foremost. After all, the Bible is considered worldwide to contain the actual and inspired words of God, so without your understanding of the Bible you have no litmus test to subject other more modern writings to.

   Here's an example of what I would consider dangerous material in these books.

   According to Neale, when he asked God...

   Q. "Is there a Hell?"
  
   A. "Hell does not exist as this place you have fantasized, where you burn in some everlasting fire, or exist in some state of everlasting torment. What purpose could I have in that?"

   This goes against what is written in the Bible. Some people believe hell isn't real and is just the absence of God, but I would say if you're not in the presence of God, then you must be some place else.

   Q. "But if there is no hell, does that mean I can do what I want, act as I wish, commit any act, without fear of retribution?"

   A. "I tell you this: You are your own rule maker. You set the guidelines. And you decide how well you have done; how well you are doing. For you are the one who has decided Who and What You Really Are - and Who You Want to Be. And you are the only one who can assess how well you're doing. No one else will judge you ever, for why, and how, could God judge God's own creation and call it bad?"

   This negates a huge theme of the Bible itself as God has judged us in the past and the final judgment day is written about and still to come!

   Neale was also told by God that Hitler went to Heaven, and when asked how that is possible God proclaimed "First, he could not have gone to hell because hell does not exist. Therefor, there is only one place left to which he could have gone."

   Neale's God negates the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus for our salvation. (John 14:6) Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

   Since Neale's God does not judge and everybody automatically goes to heaven, there's no need to repent, no need to proclaim Jesus as Lord and Savior, just being yourself is good enough, even if you commit atrocities as Hitler did.

   Remember the Bible clearly states that: For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast (Ephesians 2:8-9).

   I don't mean to condemn these books in whole. They do talk of Jesus often as the world's greatest teacher and provider of truth. There are some very good insights and ideas in this book that deserve deep thought and consideration.

   Q. "How do I know the answer's I'm getting are from God?"
  
   A. Mine is always your Highest Thought, your Clearest Word, your Grandest Feeling. Anything less is from another source." "The Highest Thought is always the thought which contains joy. The Clearest Words are those words which contain truth. The Grandest Feeling is that feeling which you call love."

We should all seek out and create Joy, Truth, and Love in our lives, just be sure it's not at the expense of you soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment